Thursday, July 28, 2011

Let Me Clarify...

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has been emailing me and giving me input about my last few posts! I really appreciate all the advice. Lord knows I need it! I realized after reading my post from yesterday that it was very vague. So let me just clarify what's going on with my job and school situation.

I have accepted an assistant teacher position at Woodland Montessori School in Harrisonburg. In the Spring I completed a 100 hour practicum there and fell in love with every aspect of the school. I soon realized that I didn't want to teach in public schools anymore and that Montessori School's are where I belong. There are several reasons and I'll go into that in another post at a later date. This realization was huge and changed my entire perspective on what I wanted to do with my life. After finishing this school year as an assistant teacher, I will go to Richmond for 6 weeks for a very intense Montessori Certification program next summer. Then, in the Fall of 2012, I will be an actual Montessori School Teacher!

After accepting the job and having the next few years planned out for me, I had to figure out what I was going to do with school. I decided that I will not be teaching in the Spring or finishing my ESL endorsement. To be honest, I don't know if I'll ever return to public schools. Montessori school has completely changed my heart and philosophy on education. My academic professor went over all of my options and we decided that student teaching would not be beneficial for me with the direction I'm taking. I feel that I need to concentrate on the Montessori Method and learn as much as I can! Furthermore, because of making the decision to not student teach, I cut out 3 classes. I went from a whopping 19 credits down to 13. This will take off so much stress in the Fall and I'm pretty excited about getting to slow down and enjoy my last semester.
However, don't worry, I have a back up plan! If I ever decided to return to public schools I would simply finish my student teaching through my Master's program (which I was planning on doing anyway). My academic advisor believes that if I wanted to return to public schools I wouldn't have any problem getting back in and finishing my student teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment