Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Steel Magnolias

So the other day I was looking at wedding stuff online and came upon a site called "I Do Tattoos". The site's name caught my eye and got me thinking about wedding tattoos. Now, the tattoos they were selling and the tattoo that I'm talking about are two totally different things. Places like "I Do Tattoos" sell temporary blue tattoos that brides can use as their "something blue" on their wedding day.



However, a few weeks ago I decided that I didn't want just a temporary tattoo, but something permanent that I could have with me forever, which led me to magnolias.

Magnolias are by far my favorite flower and that fact will be quite obvious when my entire bridal party, including myself, walk down the aisle carrying bouquets of magnolias. Not only are magnolias gorgeous flowers, their symbolism is so powerful. Magnolias are a symbol of perseverance and dignity, and are also widely used in weddings as a symbol of the brides purity. Furthermore, magnolias are often associated with southern weddings because they are common flowers in the South. Everything the magnolia stands for fits my lifestyle and wedding perfectly!

Magnolias also have a special family meaning to me. When I think of magnolias, I think of my Papa. He endured so much through his life and persevered every step of the way. He was also a southern gentlemen and was deserving of respect and honor. The term "steel magnolias" also comes to my mind when describing my family. I come from a long line of strong Southern women, specifically my mother. And I like to think that she passed some of her strength on to me :)

So, you may be wondering why I just rattled off half a dozen facts about magnolias. Well, a few days ago I took the leap and decided to make a white magnolia part of my every day life, in the form of a tattoo on my left side, across my ribs. Yesterday, April 11, was 10 years since I lost my Papa to cancer, and in his remembrance I decided to have this flower on my side forever! I chose to have it placed on my ribs so Papa can "be by my side" on my wedding day because as a little girl, I always dreamed of having both my Dad and Papa walk me down the aisle. Not only will he be there on my wedding day, but for the rest of my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment