Thursday, April 21, 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

So what exactly does the saying "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue" mean? As I was trying to figure out what items I would have for each of these sayings, I found that this custom came from an old English poem.
Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.
Each item refers to a token that the bride can carry with her on her wedding day. If she carries all four items, then she will have a happy marriage. This neat tradition is often pushed to the side because of all the other plans and things going on inside the bride's mind and are sometimes thrown together at the last minute. However, some brides are now thinking ahead and adding their own unique twist to this tradition.

Something Old:
Rather than picking something that is simply old, some brides are making sure that their "Something Old" has special meaning to them and their family. Many brides are either wearing a sentimental piece of jewelry, a dress that their mother wore, or a veil that has been passed down through the family and is for the bride to keep. Not only are you completing one part of the tradition, but the item you chose to wear represents something sentimental and meaningful. Here are some other great ideas:
  • A vintage engagement ring or wedding band
  • The veil your grandmother wore in her wedding
  • Antique or heirloom earrings or bracelet
  • A tiny vintage purse
  • Vintage buttons on your wedding dress
  • Your favorite lipstick
  • Your signature perfume
  • Antique lace tied around your bouquet
This is my "Something Old". This veil was a wedding gift to Tyler's mother in 1984. Both Tyler's mother and his aunt wore this at their wedding over twenty years ago, when they got married in the same church we are getting married in. I'll be honest, at first I had some hesitation about this veil because of it's "older" style. However, after putting the veil on with wedding dress, it was a perfect match. The pearls and the sequins in the veil complement the dress so well!

Something New:
Whether it's a new wedding dress, new pair of shoes, or piece of stunning jewelry, most brides make sure that their "Something New" will turn heads. Furthermore, this item will undoubtedly cost the most. The price can range from $200 and up. In some cases, brides go all out and spend tens of thousands of dollars on these items that will only be worn for one day. If your budget can't take a large purchase, you don't have to purchase something new. Instead, you can have a new penny for your shoe or pick new fresh flowers for your bouquet.

My "Something New" is my wedding dress. However, I will not be posting it publicly because of certain person that reads my blog (Tyler). However, I will give you a description of it and your mind can come up with it's own image. My dress is a simple A line crumb top strapless dress, with beading on the bodice and lace that goes down the dress. (If you look close enough at picture of the veil, you can see the back of my dress!) When I first saw this dress on the rack, I passed it up without a second thought. However, my maid of honor thought it was gorgeous and wanted me to at least try it on. As soon as I put this dress on, I fell in love with it and the rest is history. 

Something Borrowed:
This item is similar in nature to the "Something Old". However, this item must be returned after the wedding. If brides are on a tight budget they may borrow a piece of jewelry that they couldn't buy, such as earrings, a necklace, or bracelet. Here are some other great ideas:
  • Mom's pearl necklace
  • The earrings your grandmother wore at her wedding
  • The adorable little bag your best friend carried at hers
  • Your aunt's veil or headpiece
  • Your sister's wedding shoes
  • Your parents' (or a friend's) home for the wedding or reception
  • An elegant wrap from your future mother-in-law
  • Your grandfather's Bible or book of poetry
  • Money from your parents or his (for the wedding or honeymoon)
My "Something Borrowed" is a pair of diamond earrings that I bought for my Mom last Christmas. Rather than spending the money on a pair of diamond earrings, my Mom is letting me borrow hers.


Something Blue:
This tradition can be taken into many different directions. For brides who do not want to be flashing blue during their wedding, having a blue garter, or a blue ribbon on the garter is an easy and simple option. Some brides on the other hand are getting more creative with their "Something Blue". Here a few twists to the classic "Something Blue":
  • Blue flowers in your bouquet, such as hydrangeas
  • Lingerie with touches of blue
  • Ice blue toenail polish
  • A dramatic blue-red lipstick
  • Tiny blue details, such as flowers, scattered on a long veil
  • A delicate pale blue barrette
  • A beautiful blue Austrian crystal
  • A blues band at your reception
  • A silk, midnight blue wedding gown (who says it has to be white?)
My something blue has turned into "a lot of things that are blue". Both my engagement ring and wedding band have sapphires in them that symbolize the month we started dating, got engaged, and are getting married, which is September. Sapphires are also my favorite gemstone.  I also have a small blue ribbon sewn on the inside of my black and hot pink garter. And last but not least, we will be riding to the reception in Singers Glen Volunteer Fire Company's blue fire truck. Yes, a blue fire truck.

My engagement ring and Tiffany's wedding band

Our "get away" fire truck 

Find these and other great ideas at http://www.weddingchannel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment