Friday, June 10, 2011

The Joy of Getting Engaged

Well as of Wednesday night, there is a new member to the Burgoyne family. Wes asked the most important question of his life to Jill and she said YES! As I listen to their proposal story and see her engagement ring sparkle on her left ring finger, I can't help but think back to that moment almost two years ago when Tyler asked me the same life changing question.
Our engagement day seemed just like yesterday. We had talked for months about getting engaged and I had even picked out my engagement ring. However, over the summer Tyler decided to buy a new brand new Nissan truck and my hopes of getting engaged on our 4 year anniversary (September 10) went out the window. Tyler then convinced me that he didn't have enough money to buy my ring. I accepted this fact and was patient because I knew it would happen very soon.

 I'm sure Tyler didn't plan it, but he proposed on September 09, 2009 (09.09.09). I'm absolutely adore unique dates like this one and especially our wedding date (09.10.11). Tyler is also fond of them because he can easily remember the date ;)

So, September 9th came and Tyler and I planned to celebrate our anniversary that evening since he had to work the following day. I compromised with my co-worker Laura and had her work late for me so I could get off early. Little did she know that when she agreed to work for me that she was only speeding up our engagement time ;) When I arrived to Tyler's house we started by exchanging gifts. Tyler opened his gift of two pairs of EMT pants and then snuck off to his truck to retrieve my gift. He them walked in with a shoe box covered in shiny green wrapping paper. I snickered as he handed the box to me and told him that he shouldn't have. (He told me he wasn't getting me a gift so he could save up for my ring).

Before opening the box I shook it and shook it and shook it. Not a sound. The first thought that came to my mind was, "Tyler got me an empty box!" I then jokingly told him, "This is what I've always wanted! An empty box!" He grinned and told me to open it and see what was inside. As I ripped the shiny green paper and opened the box my mouth dropped. I was wrong. There was something very significant in that box. In the middle of he box was a smaller ring box taped to the bottom. Inside the smaller ring box was the diamond and sapphire engagement ring I had been eyeballing at work for the last two months. Tyler then got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. The first words that came out of my mouth were, "NO you didn't!" No joke. And I didn't just say it once, or twice, or three times, but five times! As I kept repeating these three words I could see Tyler getting anxious/nervous as he said, "Is that a yes?"


Of course that's a YES!
I've waited for four years for this proposal and beautiful ring and I am not about to say no! That night Tyler made me the happiest girl in the world and for the next few months I was walking on cloud nine (and to this day I still am!) There's no other feeling in the world compared to that of getting engaged to the person you love and want to spend the rest of your life with. At that moment my life became stable and I knew where I was going to be over the course of the next few years.

I was (and still am) bound and determined to master the art of being engaged, going to school full time, and working a couple jobs. Along the way I'd learn how to plan my dream wedding (with a lot of help), build a happy home, and work on becoming the wife that Tyler deserves and WILL have. I wouldn't trade being engaged while in college for anything and even though some think we're too young, it's working for us and our lives have been truly blessed. We have over five years under our belts and have many more ahead of us. It's so cool to think that exactly six years about Tyler has me to be his girlfriend, we'll say "I Do" and become husband and wife. (Happy Sigh), am blessed or what!

As I go think back to our engagement, it was perfect. It was intimate and personal and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Sure there's plenty of other romantic ways to propose, but Tyler's proposal was romantic in his own way. He told me exactly how he felt and didn't feel the pressure of being watched. And as for me, I didn't feel bad about telling him no five times (haha)! I was genuinely surprised and excited and those feelings outweighed other emotions that would have brought on the tears. In my defence, I'm saving all my tears of joy for the wedding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment